The Internet of Things helps to control and monitor different devices wirelessly over the Internet. The Internet acts as a medium for communication between all the connected devices. There are a large number of applications of Internet of Things and out of these applications in this blog we will learn about the Weather Reporting System using IoT.
For the efficient monitoring of weather and other changes in the environment, a Weather Reporting System Using IoT is quite necessary. But the weather reporting system should be a smart system. The conventional weather reporting system uses various instruments like thermometers, barometers, rain gauge etc. These instruments use analog technology and its data is later stored in a database physically. But this system using analog instruments has some limitations.
These limitations are:
- The bulky machinery of conventional weather monitoring systems requires constant monitoring and should be changed routinely. This bulky machinery also increases the cost of installation.
- This system also has a high power consumption which increases its cost.
- Data is transferred manually.
- The Existing weather system predicts the weather and the sudden change in the forecast with some delay.
In order to overcome these limitations, we need Sensors, Microcontrollers and Software Applications to make a Smart Weather Reporting System Using IoT.
Advantages of Weather Reporting System using IoT
- The Smart Weather Monitoring system is quite small as compared to Conventional Weather Monitoring System and can be installed easily.
- Power Requirements for Smart weather monitoring systems are quite low.
- Sensors used in the Smart Weather Monitoring System are quite cheaper which makes this project quite cost effective.
- Data from the sensors can be sent to the web page also which can be accessed from anywhere in the world.
- Maintenance cost of the Smart Weather Monitoring System is also quite low due to the presence of fewer parts.
- The data collected and analyzed by the sensors of the Smart weather Monitoring System predicts an accurate outcome of the weather.
- Due to the high speed of these sensors, they can also easily detect any sudden change in the forecast as well.
- Prior Alert of the weather conditions is also possible in case of Smart Weather Monitoring System. This prior alert can be seen easily by visiting a website of an IoT portal.
The hardware requirement for Smart Weather Monitoring Systems are:
- Microcontroller ( e.g: ArduinoUno, Raspberry Pi)
- DHT11 Digital Temperature/Humidity Sensor
- Rain Drop Sensors
- Wi-Fi Module (e.g: ESP8266)
- LCD Display, LEDs
- Resistors, Capacitors, Transistors and Diodes
- Switches,Cables and Connectors
- A Crystal Oscillator to create an electrical signal with a constant frequency.
The programming for the Smart Weather Monitoring System can be complete with the help of C programming language in case of ArduinoUno and in Python language in case of Raspberry Pi.
Working: Weather Reporting System Using IoT
Since IoT based weather monitoring systems work mostly on sensors, hence it also needs a step-down transformer which will bring down the 230V AC supply to 6V AC supply.The electronic components also work only on DC supply hence a rectifier will convert the AC supply into DC supply.
Microcontroller will be controlling each and every sensor connect to it. LCD display, Rain Drop Sensor, Humidity Sensor and Temperature Sensor all will be interfaced will this Microcontroller and the programming will be in C language if Microcontroller is an Arduino or NodeMCU or the language will be python in case of Microcontroller as Raspberry Pi.
In case of Temperature and Humidity Sensors, whenever the temperature will increase, voltage associated with the temperature sensor will also increase and whenever humidity will increase then the current associated with the humidity sensor will increase. This increase in voltage and current will be measure by Microcontroller.
this data will be send via Wi-Fi module and can be view on an IoT webpage as well. Hence this is a simple working of a Weather Reporting System Using IoT.
From this blog we can conclude that the Weather Reporting System using IoT is quite cost effective, efficient and the data collected can also be post on cloud as well. Hence ,this system is useful in continuous monitoring of the environment.
Written By: Utkarsh Pathak
Reviewed By: Vishal Rathod