The Internet of Things these days is quite popular in the development of different low-cost systems with the help of a Microcontroller. These smart innovations in the field of the Internet of Things are quite cost-effective and power-efficient as well. Smart Objects are key components in the field of the Internet of Things.
This field has many capabilities such as processing of Information logically, Storage of data, and accurate sensing in a environment.
One of the Innovations of Smart Alarm Clock using IoT. The Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT will have features that will include a weather reporting system with the help of a temperature sensor and humidity sensor. It will also show the traffic status of roads of that particular day with good accuracy.
Some of the advantages of Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT:
- In a smart alarm clock, a sensor can be placed under the mattress or pillows that a person is using. This sensor can measure your sleep and will also be able to determine whether the person is getting enough sleep or not.
- The alarm set in a traditional clock will go off at the time set by the person. but in the case of Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT, the clock will go off by determining whether the person is feeling refreshed or not.
- Sleeping Posture is the most important part in having a sleep that will make a person alert and refreshed on waking up. Smart Alarm Clocks will also be able to determine the correct posture of the person sleeping so that he/she could have a high quality sleep.
- The traditional alarm clocks have an alarm sound which sounds quite irritating sometimes. But in case of Smart Alarm Clock, you can set your own favourite tunes as an alarm tone. It can also turn on the LED lights which will keep you quite excited and energized for the day.
- The Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT can also change time automatically on the basis of weather conditions, traffic routes and also on the basis of whether the day is a weekend or a weekday. It can also play Internet Radio Stations and News Podcasts as well.
The hardware requirements of the Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT are:
- Microcontroller (e.g Arduino Uno, Raspberry Pi, NodeMCU)
- DS3231 RTC Module ( used for accurate timekeeping when main power of supplied to the device is interrupted)
- LED lights
- LCD display
- Wi-Fi module (e.g ESP8266)
- Cables and Connectors
Working: Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT
In the Smart alarm clock, we will use a low-cost and low-powered microcontroller which will be programmed by using C-language in the case of Arduino UNO and NodeMCU and will be programmed by python language in the case of RaspberryPi. Smart objects should be capable of collecting data from the environment and then using that data to activate real-world events. This is achieved with the help of sensors and actuators.
The person using the smart alarm clock can keep a sensor under his pillow which will help to monitor whether the person is having a refreshed and good sleep or not. Sensors are quite a low cost in the field of the Internet of Things. Some commonly used sensors are Temperature Sensors, Humidity Sensors, and Pulse Sensors. Actuators are nothing but LEDs and output devices that can be used to turn on and off the smart alarm clock.
This Smart Alarm Clock can also be connected to the internet using the ESP8266 Wi-Fi module so that you can keep track of various things like weather and traffic flow with the help of a clock. There are some networking products that are designed to create low-energy protocols such as 6loWPAN and Zigbee. They are quite helpful in creating a personal wireless sensor network.
From this blog, we can conclude that the Smart Alarm Clock Using IOT is quite useful to us in many ways. Moreover, the components required to make this clock are quite easy to get which increases its potential in the field of the Internet of Things. The Use of a Microcontroller is a stimulant to the field of IoT since it is cost-effective and consumes low power also
Written By: Utkarsh Pathak
Reviewed By: Vishal Rathod